(You can find the list of materials I used to create this headband at the bottom of this page)
Download the free pattern here and copy the pattern onto your beading foundation
The techniques I used to create this headband is exactly the same with the techniques I used to create the Christmas Ornament (last week’s free tutorial). For more details and step-by-step photos, please visit that blog post.
- Follow the above diagram and satin stitch the leaves and berries using DMC Cotton Perle #5
- You can satin stitch the white parts seen on the diagram . . . or . . . bead them with size #8 seed beads (I used nickle-plated seed beads).
- Bead the outlines using fire-polished beads in similar colors. (I like to put a few accent beads to make the piece looks more interesting).
- Cut the piece 1/16” (or 1.5 mm) outside of the outermost edges of the piece.
- Glue the piece onto either a piece of flannel or ultrasuede. Wait till the glue is completely dried.
- Using size #8 seed beads in similar colors, bead the edges with “clean edge finishing” (the technique seen in #14-17 of that webpage)
- Pass through these beads 3 or more times to make sure they won’t unravel.
- Attach the finished piece onto a piece of comb &/or headband.
This time, I decided to make my own headband.
- The technique I used to create the headband: Right Angle weave. (I usually stitch through the same beads 2x)
- Make small loops at either ends of the headband that fit the elastic or ribbon to fasten the headband with
- The beads I used to create the main part of the headband: 4mm fire polished beads
- I filled the gaps between the beads with size #6 seed beads
- Beading foundation: (a stiffened felt or Lacy’s Stiff Stuff)
- DMC Cotton Perle in bright green, slightly lighter green, bright red, and dark red
- Embroidery needle size #1
- 3mm fire-polished beads in green and red
- Size #8 seed beads in green and red
- Beading thread (I use Nymo size O in green and red)
- Beading needle size #12
- Felt or ultrasuede
- Pen, scissors
- If you want to bead the leaves with accent colors: Size #8 nickle plated seed beads (see below)
- If you want to make your own beadwork headband:
- 4mm fire polished beads in green and red
- #6 seed beads in green and red
- Fireline 6 lbs. test in smoke
- Elastic or ribbon
Feel free to reproduce this headband for commercial purposes, BUT:
- On your product description, please write: “Original design by Joyce at www.angelica-brigade.com“
- Since I won’t be the person who create the piece you’ll sell in your shop . . . To avoid possible misunderstandings . . . Please use your own images to market your version(s) of this headband
If you have any question, please don’t hesitate to contact me by writing a comment on the reply box below. (Don’t worry if you don’t see your message on this page right away)
Alternately, you can also contact me via Facebook
Any ad that shows up below this line is not endorsed by me &/or Angelica Brigade