Here are a few things I learned (and re-learned/re-discovered) this week . . .
After 3 weeks of low productivity (in terms of coming up with new designs) . . .
I figured out that I should never go against my natural tendencies & preferences.
- In my efforts to grow my business (by doing market research, and by creating products that might sell well)
- Because I thought that as a person who custom-design couture accessories & jewelry for my clients; I should be able to create whatever things my clients want
- In my attempts to challenge myself and to avoid creative rut, (by learning to create pieces that look different from my usual designs)
- And because I’d been too harried to evaluate things
I got sidetracked
I ended up creating a few pieces I don’t love . . .
What a waste of time, energy. and resources . . .
Finally, when I had no more energy to make more and more things (which I might not like anyway) . . .
I got that badly needed chance to evaluate my performance & (lack of) progress . . .
I love sleek, minimalistic, well-constructed, geometric, and textured designs . . .
(things with clean, non-fussy lines) . . . and thus, should focus on designing such pieces.
Forcing myself to create ornate, colorful things with organic lines will only lead me to failures and disappointments.
I’m happy to say that I finally heard from some of the modelling agencies I contacted.
I’m organizing 3 different editorial shoots and it had not been easy (you can read more about it here).
Here are some of the principles I live by:
- Be inventive. If necessary, use (legal) unorthodox method.
If you can’t enter through the door, try to enter from the roof (Mark 2: 1-5) . . . or dig a tunnel . . . or whatever legal method you think might work.
- Be persistent. Read this story and you might know what I’m talking about >>> Luke 18:1-5
I’m not a Bible thumper,
And, some people might think I don’t interpret those passages carefully/methodically/etc.
But, I can’t ignore the wisdom of what those men and that widow did . . .
Have an awesome weekend!!!
-joyce @ Angelica Brigade