$0 marketing that’s more effective (for me) than social media marketing:
- Wearing my own designs everywhere I go
- Going out to many places where my target customers usually go on a regular basis
- Never leaving the house without bringing a stack of well-designed / eye-catching / memorable business cards
I ordered my double-sided business cards from Moo.com
Here’s a better version of the photograph you can see on on one of the sides of the business card
The benefit of using a high quality double-sided business card:
- People are less likely to throw the card away
- The photograph people can see on one of the sides of the card will remind them how awesome your works are
- The photograph can also persuade them to visit your website / online shop more than once
I chose eight of my best photographs … the ones that represent each type of jewelry & accessories I designed
People who stopped me to ask me about my knotted chain maille necklace got the card with a similar necklace they were interested in. The people who inquire about my hair accessory receive this card instead:
And, the people who wanted to know whether I also create bridal headpieces … received cards that feature a bridal headpiece.
And so on …
Why this $0 marketing is better (for me) than social media marketing:
- It gives me a chance to meet, interact, get to know my potential customers.
- It’s easier for me to find out who my potential customers are. They are the people who stopped me to ask me about my designs.
- It gives those potential customers chances to see my products with their own eyes. That way, when they see my designs in my online shop, they will know what to expect: That my works look as good as their photographs and that I don’t Photoshop those pictures to death.
- They don’t live a few thousand of miles away from me … so, I don’t have to worry about shipping costs and potential problems with customs. Firstly, expensive shipping cost(s) might cause some potential customers to purchase similar items elsewhere. For that reason, I usually foot a part of my overseas customers’ shipping fee. Obviously, this do cause me to earn less revenue. Also, from time to time, some packages might get held at customs … so, when they need some items fast, they might prefer to order the items from local stores or artists instead.
- Some potential customers who prefer to conduct offline transactions can pay for the items they order when they receive those items.
P.S: I personally think that social media marketing do not give small business owners (especially Etsy sellers) more sales. You can read my reasoning here: https://angelicabrigade.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/social-media-marketing-for-etsy-sellers-useles
Any thought / question ? Please don’t hesitate to write a comment :)